Literally in a last days of Cannes Lions 2010 very strong candidate for a bunch of awards in next year festivals is launched at New York Time Square.
Why I love it?
- Real-time. Smart usage of real-time in combination with involvement of everybody who is standing/going/driving next to outdoor.
- Context. The action is closely linked to the context of the situation - thousands of tourists wondering around;
- Interactivity (although simulated). Adds a lot, particularly in such a scale.
- Using new technology for communication projects (surveillance software used, the solution developed in cooperation with surveillance experts);
- Integration. Combines video, outdoor, interactivity and some elements of augmented realty tools. Placed next to few "permanent" Forever 21 outdoors (and to what seems to be an entrance in store?)
- Easy to share.
- It's fun.
Lets wait for last week of 2011 - my guess is that there will be some kind of metal in Cannes
*** - N.B. In the comments around Vimeo.com and FastCompany there is a bit of controversy in the projects - it seems that Space 150 team has been influenced by the work of british designer Chris O'Shea "The Hand from Above". Still comparing both I thing Space 150 has brought the idea much further and added a lot of interactivity and fun to the project.